Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Teaching Philosophy

I believe all students can learn and they all have the same opportunity to be successful. There it is in a nutshell. I know it sounds generic, so I will explain.

As a teacher, I give all of my students the same opportunity to be successful in my classroom. What they decide to do with that opportunity is up to them. They choose to come to class, to do the work, to participate and learn. I cannot force that upon anyone. In order for that to happen, my students must feel safe in the environment I create as the teacher. I give my students a lot of freedom in the classroom. It is all about choices and consequences; and if they do not like the consequences, then they need to make the appropriate choices. I remind them that there are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened; then I ask them which category do they or will they belong.

Respect is key in this process of teaching. I respect my students; therefore they respect me. There may be some students who do not like me and visa verse, but we still have respect for one another. Because I respect them and they me, discipline is not an issue and they accept the consequences of their choices without complaint. It all comes down to do they want to be successful and graduate? I am there to provide assistance, guidance, and knowledge to help them be productive in an environment very foreign to them after graduation. I would hope they take from me what they need to prosper in society.

My teaching philosophy is not about English, composition, or Language Arts, it can't be. My teaching philosophy is about the students and their needs. Content will always be present, and I will teach them to be literate in all areas I can; but these kids are my future and my daughter's future, how do I prepare them to observe, participate, and lead so we all benefit?

No comments:

Post a Comment