Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Teaching Theory - Week Two

So I will be honest, I thought the Why Comp/Theory post was our philosophy post. But after viewing everyone's posts, I was wrong. So here we go...

My teaching philosophy has definitely changed since I began a teaching program, completed student teaching, began real teaching, and continue teaching. However, the foundation of my philosophy has never changed. I teach because I want to help young adults realize their full potential in life. I love high schoolers (not freshmen so much). They think they know everything, yet they know nothing; and when you are able to blow their mind, it is amazing! However, I do believe that the students can blow my mind as well. Education is a field where both teacher and student learn from each other. That is the only way a teacher can grow and advance academically, intellectually, and professionally. I have learned so much from my students over the past ten years. They have taught me patience, empathy, tolerance, love, sarcasm, and how to text message using their symbols and abbreviations.

I teach them content, no doubt about that. But in order for them to grasp the content, they must feel safe. My entire philosophy of teaching and education is structured around respect. Students must respect their teacher, it's expected; however, the teacher must return that respect. Once respect is established, understood, and earned in the learning environment, then trust is gained. When we trust each other, growth is possible and so is learning.

I also believe that education and teaching are living, breathing entities. I can teach literature, grammar and composition all day long; but in order to be effective, I need to bring society and culture into the classroom. I need to be able to relate to my students, the wide range of students from different socioeconomic classes, ethnicities, genders, races, religions, etc. I don't only teach Language Arts, I teach kids. And a lot of times high school teachers seem to forget that because they are so wrapped up in their content. Teaching is all about what the student needs, not what the teacher wants.

1 comment:

  1. I love your view on the reciprocity of teaching; the give and take of respect, trust, and knowledge is crucial to this profession. I know that when I am personally feeling discouraged in my teaching, it is my students that lift me back up.

    It is a shame that so many teachers do get caught up in teaching only content and how to take standardized tests. We need to instill discipline and help students develop necessary skills in reading and writing, but it is so much more effective to do this while in the process of appreciating, examining, and simply living life.

    ReplyDelete