As a teacher, I have always guided (told) my high school students what or how to write. I have done it for a few years now; but enrolling in this graduate program, I realize that it is much more difficult to write something than it is to teach it. I can teach the modes of writing, the research paper using MLA and APA formats, the resume and business letter format, but doing so myself creates a far greater challenge. I have set ego aside through this learning process and actually listened to my peers. I have experienced much personal growth. I expect that of my students, so it must not be that bad - the best way to lead is by example, right? So far, my experience as a student has made me more aware of what my expectations for my students are and my expectations for me.
Writing allows us to explore who we are, where we come from, where we are going, what we value, and what we believe. Our best writing comes from what we know. I have pondered authorship, its existance and origin. What we write is usually based on what we have experienced as an individual and what we feel is necessary for others to know. Writing is very personal and intimate; it is very difficult to tell someone what to write and how to write it because who then is the author? Again, that seems to lead back to the notion of authorship. For whom are we really writing - ourselves, our audience, our teacher (who is ultimately incharge of the assessment and grade)? What is truly influencing our writing and why do we feel the need to write? These are some questions I have asked many times throughout the past semester after looking at literature through a different "lens" and focusing that "lens" a little more.
I hope this course allows me to understand how to teach young minds (so cliche' I know) to embrace writing for themselves, not for me or anyone else. I hope to offer some balance between structure and guidance without imposing my values/beliefs so they show in my students' writings. But how can my values/beliefs not be imposed when I am influencing people based on what I say? We are constantly being influenced everyday; so how do we remain an individual? Who is the real author?

No comments:
Post a Comment